Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Emotions and Cancer

The want to be immortal,

My fate is not certain.

The desire for the "Forever",

My end is not near.

The aspiration to multiply,

I spread my spy.

The ambition to last,

Makes me the outcast.

The dream to reach,

Has left me no peace.

The hope to win,

Not sparing my kin,

Leaves me remorse.

I am the crooked,

I am the wicked,

I am - the cancer cell!

This is a self written verse, describes the complexities of emotions and the plethora of illness that can be caused when we either neglect our emotional needs, suppress it or over express it! Phew!!The world goes around and around emotions...Love, dating, breakups, marriages, children, friends, family, job, fun, sex, friends, heartbreaks, betrayals, dejection,etc are very very powerful emotions or situations which we come across on a daily basis. The emotions create experiences which shape our personalities. I would like to research what are the impact of the so called negative emotions on cell cycle, aging, mitosis,etc. I believe that cancer in a form of manifestation of negative energy or any kind of resentment that we have in us. It could be a failed marriage, unhappy family, bad parenting, break ups, annoying people, I hate my job and so on and so forth. The idea of preventive medicine is to detect any cause which can measure conditions which predispose a disease. I want to find tools, methods or systems to map out emotional intelligence, emotional make up and emotional personality of a person and relate it to types of diseases that they suffer. For example, angry people have high blood pressure. Now no doctor will ever write Rx anger management. It is essential from public health practitioners point of view that we view certain varieties of cancer as built on repressed emotions and seriously start directing programs and research in that aspect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

The Public Health eConnection was developed by the Student Advisory Committee for the Health Communication Concentration (SAC-HCC) to provide a platform for all members of the HSPH community to voice perspectives on public health topics, experiences at HSPH, internships, opinions on public health news events and policy, and to creatively use media (through video, podcasts, photos, music, and digital art) to promote health. Click for more reading on health communication.